Paczki Day!

Fat Tuesday coincides with the Polish American celebration, Paczki Day. Paczki (pronounced poonch-key) are essentially jelly donuts. While the donuts don't seem too unique from your ordinary bakery donuts, the holiday gives you an excuse to indulge and bring home a box full of jelly and cream filled pastries. Yum!

My fiance grew up celebrating Paczki Day every year. My fiance is from the Detroit area in Michigan, where there is a large Polish community. As a result, many surrounding bakeries prepare paczki for this special day. Here in Seattle, they're a little harder to come by...but we discovered Metropolitan Market carries paczkis!

Now, buying a box of paczkis and eating them together has become a sweet tradition we celebrate together. Celebrate with us and go grab yourself a paczki (or just a donut and claim it's one!)

{pictures of the paczkis we picked up at Met Market}

10 comments

Gina said...

That word is fun to say!! Any holiday that celebrates something yummy is ok in my book :)

Monika - Twoja Asystentka said...

I am from Poland I we truly eat a lot of paczki here. But I don't like, them. I prefer faworki - I don't know if you know faworki. They are delicious and crunchy.
You can read about them here: http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art43216.asp

and here you can see how they look like: http://bialczynski.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/mak-faworki.jpg

Vivian said...

Sounds like a delicious tradition, thanks for sharing about this! Doubt I can find Paczki in Japan, but thanks for giving me an excuse to eat a donut!

Diana Mieczan said...

We also eat paczki each year with Balazs. Its such a cool tradition:) Those look really yummy! Kisses, sweetie

Ps: I’m hosting a charming jewelry GIVEAWAY today! Hope you’ll join in:)

L said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Liz said...

aw this is so sweet! and this makes me want a donut really, really bad!

sensiblyluxe said...

I have never had one, but these look delicious.

kelli g. { bug miscellany } said...

ack! i grew up in metro Detroit, and i didn't even KNOW it was Fat Tuesday this week, because there weren't any signs advertising Packzi sales. hahaha.

Holly said...

i love little traditions like this!

Urban Scarlet said...

ooo, i've never heard of these treats... now i must hunt some down and try for myself! www.urbanscarlet.com