Bringing Back The Bagel Dog

I was flipping through Martha Stewart Living the other day and came across a recipe for an oldie but goodie - the Bagel Dog. I can't believe I'd almost forgotten about this fan favorite! What an underrated treat!

As kids, on the days my Dad directed our trips to Costco, we stocked up on all kinds of less-than-healthy but oh-so-yummy goodies like...bagel dogs. There's just something about it, the dog alone might not inspire such nostalgia, but the dog in a blanket = pure deliciousness!

So...I've decided to pay tribute to all those fun and junk-food filled Costco trips with Dad, I'm reviving the bagel dog this summer! Watch out - first BBQ at my place, we'll be server burgers + bagel dogs. Admit it, you're kind of excited...

image/chicagonow

18 comments

Whatever Dee-Dee wants said...

It's official, I am craving hot dogs! I love bagels dogs plus I just blogged about a hot dog vending machine.

I ♥ You said...

my pregnancy cravings drove me straight to Einstein bagels monthly to snack on a bagel dog - with oodles of ketchup. i'm not proud - but man they were sooo good.

carolina @ patagonia gifts said...

wow these bagel dogs look so yummy! my kids would love them! great idea for the lunch box!

the shoppe owner said...

I would totally love to come to your bbq and partake in the bagel dog goodness. I know they are wildly unhealthy, but, you know what? Everything in moderation, right? One bagel dog won't kill me. The fifty I probably consumed during my days working retail at the mall certainly didn't! I used to get them from Wetzel's Pretzels all of the time for lunch/dinner. Ahhh... The life of a teenager!

E said...

Guilty as charged! We were always eating corndogs...these sound much better.

Leigh said...

my family owns a couple of pretzel shops and they do pretzel dogs... amazing! enjoy!

Dionne said...

Oh my gosh. I am salivating. I am not pregnant, but am suddenly having serious cravings for these, lol.

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

Count me in!! That sounds/looks amazing!

Erin {pughs' news} said...

I've never heard of these! But I bet my kids would LOVE them.

teresa-bug said...

Loved the bagel dog!

Sarah Engel said...

yes! i am not totally craving hot dogs too, this looks so yummy.

katty said...

i think i just threw up hah...i can't believe dad actually let us eat these!! my personal favorites were the 20 pack of costco crossaints!

Carrie said...

Mmm, I love bagel dogs! And pigs in a blanket - so good!

Diana Mieczan said...

Yummmmm....bagel dogs sound so good!
I am hungry now:)
Kisses

Mrs. Buck said...

oooh, yay that looks delish!!

Little E said...

Um, you know you can count on me to eat one of those at the BBQ!! :)

jensen taylor said...

That's a totally fun idea for a BBQ. I'm definitely excited for you to have it!

Sara Christine said...

OMG have you seen Role Models? A bagel dog plays a rather hilarious part in one of the scenes. Love it!