Trash the Dress

Have you heard of the fad, "trash the dress?" It's where the bride & groom wear their wedding duds out on the town the day after the wedding. This includes walking on the beach, prancing around in fields, essentially sporting the formal wear in a very non-formal setting. I like this idea, except I think I'd be afraid of ruining that beautiful gown. Here is an example of a tasteful "trash the dress" my sorority sister Megan did...Pretty, right? I like her "trash the dress' style, they almost look like they're floating on the water, in a beautiful dreamy sort of way.

Now, below is a very different version of "trash the dress." I discovered this "trash the dress" photo shoot, entitled "You and Me and a Bag of Wendy's" via my friend Heather's blog. While it looks like the bride and groom are having a raucous good time, and granted it was probably fun to shoot, I almost cringed at these photos. I don't know if I could muster the strength to ever take condiments to my wedding dress!
images 1.2/jefflaplantephotography

images.3.4.5/tracyturpen

13 comments

Lindsay said...

Most trash the dress shoots do make me cringe, but your friend's is nice. I just don't know if I could bear to ruin my wedding dress!

Melanie's Randomness said...

I like your sorority sis's one's better. I don't think I'd have the heart to completely & utterly trash my future wedding dress if I ever get married. That one is a wee bit over the top!!

carolina @ patagonia gifts said...

oh my goodness... I don't know if I'd had the heart to do this! I think you get so attached with your wedding dress... love the photos anyway :) xo

heather{land} said...

Do you think those condiments came out of her dress? I wonder if literally trashed the dress or if their is some dry-cleaners jaw sitting on the floor somewhere... :)

Stacy said...

oooooooh nooooo. Your sorority sister had a nice one, but unless I bought my wedding dress at a thrift store, then I would not do this. Nooo.

Whatever Dee-Dee wants said...

It would kill me to ruin my dress :) Maybe if I were rich and could afford two dresses...

Sam | ashore said...

I usually love trash the dress, but those catsup ones do not do it for me either! Atleast they have a sense of humor about it thought ...

Unknown said...

Muster the courage... or MUSTARD the courage... ;) :P

Nicole Marie said...

i'm totally doing that when i get married

Emily said...

I kinda like the "trash the dress" trend because realistically I'd never wear it again. Having said that I also like the idea of wearing the dress out to the dinner and the movies on your wedding anniversary. Just because you can...

Kristen said...

I had never heard of Trash the Dress before I read your post yesterday. Then, low and behold, there it was again! On my new fave guilty pleasure, Jerseylicious! Have you seen the latest ep?

RILEY said...

man, i'm going to be lame here, but i have to say i'm not a fan of "trash the dress." my little, inner hippie cringes at the disposable mentality. there are so many other uses for a dress: keep for memories, sell for brides that can't afford a dress full price. i understand that it can be a beautiful juxtaposition between the dress and environment (water, mustard, whatever), but i think that things get better with age and use and destroying something that took so long (time, money, material, resources) to make and you only wore for mere hours... i just can't get behind it :)

Anonymous said...

I just don't think I could bring myself to do it, and I don't really see the point! Your friend's one is quite pretty though, and wouldn't actually damage the dress, so I kind of approve of that one!