Panna What?

I've been cultivating a few fave food blogs and like any good blogger, I have my favorites. I usually check the "food feed" in my Google Reader every couple of days to salivate over the culinary delights circulating blog land.

I'm always wooed by the tempting desserts, salted caramel this and blueberry heaven that. I came across this lovely post via Tartelette - a lovely little food blog, and immediately the word rhubarb caught my eye. Rhubarb! My fave - it's tart, tangy zing of a flavor blended with sugar is perfection, the ideal blend of tart + sweet.

As I reread the recipe title again...I spotted lavender panna cotta? Interesting, sounds very floral and therefore aromatic...even tasty. But more than anything I was wondering, what exactly is panna cotta? I mean, I've seen it on dessert menus before, but I usually order something absurdly rich and chocolaty without a moments hesitation.

So my solution? Wikipedia. Seriously, what did people do before the internet? Dun Dun Dun Dun! Success:
Panna cotta is an Italian dessert made by simmering together cream, milk, and sugar, mixing this in with gelating, and letting it cool until set. Originating from the Piedmont region in Italy, it is eaten all over Italy where it is often served with wild berries, caramel, chocolate sauce or fruit coulis. The expression literally means "cooked cream."


Sounds good enough right? The only logical next step is to make it myself and conclude my panna cotta knowledge with experience. Lavendar Panna Cotta with Poached Rhubarb, watch out, you're on the to-do list! Anyone ever made this before??

image/tartelette

7 comments

Mary said...

Oh, if only I liked rhubarb. It's one of the few foods I just can't eat. Love that blog though. Food can definitely be inspiring!

E said...

No never, but it sounds a little up gelato avenue, so I'm so there :)

Stacy said...

Oooh, that sounds really good! Especially together! Interesting flavors!

Anna said...

I've never made it but I've seen Ina make it on Barefoot Contessa.

I didn't know you could organize your Reader! Hmmm, off to tinker.

Mary @Delightful Bitefuls said...

Oh my! This looks amazing! Thanks for sharing :)

xxMK

http://delightfulbitefuls.blogspot.com/

Traveling Distances said...

Pannacotta's so good! I don't think it's hard to make since my mom made them before. With rhubarb sounds interesting.

Anonymous said...

Oh! Oh! Don't you worry, I think Panna Cotta has to be just about the most simple thing I have ever made, besides a packet of ramen. I'm dead serious, it's SO easy.