Summer Reading

I'm always on the prowl for a new book. While in Europe, I we had lots of down time for reading, mostly on train rides between destinations.

These are the books I read this summer on my trip that I'd recommend...The newest novel, Shanghai Girls by Lisa See (author of the bestseller Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, also good)
The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
I LOVED this book, written from the perspective of a dog reflecting back on his years with a family, this book is heartfelt, and genuinely wonderful!
The Bastard of Istanbul by Elie Shafak
I'd never heard of this book before when I picked it up in a book shop in Rome, but was intrigued by the tag line "The Joy Luck Club of Turkey." An emotional, intricately woven book about a 2 families; a Turkish family from Istanbul and an Armenian family from San Francisco and the history that ties them together.
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
I can't believe it took me so long to read this fabulous book! Amazing journey of survival!
Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsiella
One of my favorite "beach read" authors, also of the Shopaholic series.
This book was light and fun, everything I wanted for the flight home.

I also managed to reread Angels & Demons and pick up a mystery my dad recommended, Wicked Prey, but I'm still open for summer reading recommendations for the month of August before I head back to school... Anyone? Anyone?

images/amazon

7 comments

Vivian said...

thanks for the suggestions- i haven't been reading much lately, which is unfortunate. but i'll make it a point to pick up at least one of those books this weekend, and start reading again!

Abbie said...

I actually just started Twenties Girl on Wednesday! I read all of her stuff. She also writes under the name Madeleine Wickham.

Kelsey @ Seattle Smith's said...

I found your blog through Carol and love it already! Our book club just started Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah, and it's based here in Seattle. I enjoy being able to relate to references in the book and have really enjoyed it so far. I have to check out The Art of Racing in the Rain ... I hear it is so good! Keep the recommendations coming!

Y.O.Y.O. said...

Thanks for sharing. I've been wanting to read Twenties Girl. It's next on my reading list. :)

Anonymous said...

those look like great reads. i have the Life of Pi on my shelf and haven't read it yet.

have you read any Phillipa Gregory? i'm liking her historical fiction lately.

Anonymous said...

i just finished Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet (such a lovely book) and have been in need of some good book recommendations - thank you! i've read (and loved!) several of those books, so i'm sure that i will enjoy your suggestions :)

Little Lovables said...

A really easy and fun read is Upon Eagle's Light by Clover Autrey.

The Twenties Girls sounds great though!