How 'Bout Them Pickles

Growing up, I absolutely hated pickles. I was notorious at family functions for picking off every single pickle remnant and passing them to my cousin Jenny, who'd happily devour them, having always proclaimed pickles to be her favorite food. But as I've grown up, I've slowly acquired a taste for the slightly sour side. It started with a hamburger I think, then progressed to a full spear with lunch, and now I'm even buying dill pickle jars for my fridge, oh have times changed. Since I'm headed to Lake Michigan at the end of the month, I might pick up a jar of these local Vitula's Pickles, not only for the clever packaging but for the hand-packed secret recipe. What are your pickle thoughts, have you ever made your own? I think it would be a fun kitchen endeavor, here's a recipe to get your started! image/dieline

7 comments

Thao said...

That packaging is adorable! I've never made my own pickles, but I've always wanted to try. I remember in middle school when it was the trend to buy huge dill pickles for $1.00 in the cafeteria. Now they always remind me of loud lunch hours with sweaty knees and endless boyband talk. :)

Vivian said...

Interesting!! I also warmed up to pickles once I was older. I have a few jars of homemade ones in my fridge, which were given to me from relatives, and they're excellent!

I love picking up smoked meat sandwiches (famous in Montreal), and eat them with a side of pickles.

Vivi said...

A friend once made me pickle soup. It was on one the most interesting (and surprisingly good!) things I've ever tasted.

EmFabulousFunshine said...

i was always the pickle thief growing up. my grandma always kept a jar for me at her house lol. i still love them!

Kim said...

I am a pickle fiend. I love pickles. I have loved them since I was a tiny child. I think "love" is not a strong enough word for my feelings towards pickles. I have my great-aunt's recipe, but I've never made them because my grandma warned me that "once you make them yourself, you won't want to eat them again because you'll know how much salt goes into them."

I still think I will try making them at some point though.

BEST pickles by far: Bubbie's Kosher Dills. I also love those big pickles you get at Disneyland and such - my mouth is watering just thinking about them!

But don't get me started on "sweet" or "bread & butter" pickles. Gross! It's dill all the way, and the older the better!

Kerri Lynne said...

I don't think I'm up for that challenge yet, but maybe one day!

I used to HATE seafood when I was younger and now I can't get enough - like you said, oh how times have changed!

Jeanna said...

My favorite is lots and lots of pickles in tuna! Yum. Especially with wholewheat crackers. Now I'm getting up off the couch to go grab some pickles. ;)