Bee Careful

My weekend was a little unusual...I got stung by a bee on my forehead Friday afternoon as I was taking a break from setting up my classroom. I haven't been stung by a bee since I was...say, 11. It hurt but soon the pain dwindled and I went on with my Friday evening of watching Harry Potter in the theater.

Saturday rolls around and my face is slightly puffy, not terribly noticeable unless you stare directly at my eye or my forehead...I went to a housewarming BBQ with friends and left early because of the drowsy-inducing effects of Benadryl...

Wake up Sunday morning, my face has ballooned, I look like Quasimodo from the Hunchback of Notre Dame, my eyelid was so swollen I could barely see out my left eye. This delayed reaction was enough cause for concern that my boyfriend took me to Urgent Care early Sunday where I was given the "ooh that must hurt," comment by about 4 nurses, and finally prescribed some steroids for the next 5 days.

Who knew bees could leave such an impression? Anyone had a similar experience?

image/animal picture gallery

11 comments

Callie Grayson said...

oh yeah,
I was at Mont Saint-Michel in France, away from any doctor let alone a hospital. For some odd reason the wasp was in my pocket, I put my hand inside my pocket to a shock of pure burning pain of fire up my arm. My arm swelled up and ached so bad. Now I carry any epi-pen everywhere I go!!

So glad you are ok. Very dangerous, glad your throat didn't swell too. Did they give you an epi-pen to carry around incase it happens again, it will be worse next time for some reason. It progressively gets worse when you have an allergic reaction.

Hope all is well!
callie

Lacey said...

wow...that must have been scary for you! glad you made it to the doctor in time.

Vivian said...

oh my... you must be allergic? make sure you carry an epipen for next time, or maybe just Benadryl if it's mild. i was stung on my foot when i was little, and it was horribly swollen.

i did get stung again a few years ago, but nothing hapened, so i think it depends.

hope you're okay now!

the southern hostess said...

Ouch! That is no fun. I have actually, luckily, never been stung by a bee.

Kelsey Smith said...

Never been stung by a bee and thankful for that. Sorry it put a little damper on your weeked .... Feel better!

Brooke and Brittany said...

Yes! I got stung a few months ago on the foot and it got so swollen! It took almost 2 weeks to go down and itched so bad! But I was stung at the same time on my other leg on my knee and there was no reaction there....strange.

I hope you feel better!

Jess said...

awwww...that sucks!
get better :)

Carol said...

Hope you feel better soon!

Kim said...

When I was about 12, I got stung by a bee on the inside of my top lip (yes, the inside). It puffed up so big I had to spend the day (my birthday party) in the ranger station at the park with an ice pack on my mouth!

Feel better!

Diana said...

Thanks for visiting my little blog! I'm in Seattle too. I got stung by a bee in elementary school when we were running laps around the building, and I guess I was doing the slow-motion finish line kind of pose while running, because a bee flew up my nose and stung me. I don't remember the pain, but I can still feel the kinetic memory of the fluttering inside my nose.

Emily said...

Ouch! I hope you are ok now?