New Traditions

Christmas is all about celebrating family traditions, and I embraced a new tradition of my fiance's this year and surprised him by making pierogis as part of our Christmas dinner feast! Being his first Christmas away from his Michigan roots where his large Polish family resides, I felt it was important to keep up at least a few of his usual comforts of home. At his family Christmases, it's a tradition to serve Polish foods such as pierogis, kapusta, and kielbasa.

And just in case you're not familiar, a pierogi is a traditional meatless Polish dumpling of sorts. You can fill it with sweet or savory filling, in this case I used Martha Stewart's recipe for potato pierogis and cabbage pierogis. They are quite time consuming, but well worth the efforts as my fiance was extremely surprised and excited at their appearance at our Christmas dinner table. Thanks Martha!
myphotos

7 comments

Holly said...

they look adorable and labor intensive. good work!

and im using the brown bottles to hold flowers on the tables at my wedding. :)

Caroline said...

I just had some of the best pierogis while in Michigan visiting family ... they were incredible. XO!

Sonja said...

mmmm
this makes me hungry.
These look delicious! I love pierogies!

rebecca said...

i'm impressed. totally.

Iva Messy said...

I LOVE pierogis! ;) So fabulous that you make them! Thats the best! Homemade is always the most delicious! ... now I need pierogis STAT! ;)

Leesh said...

I love pierogis. I have yet to try homemade ones. I don't think that I could make them myself. I enjoy eating much more than preparing food.

Anna said...

haha... and we claim these to be a ukrainian traditional dish:))