2017 Goals

Well, now that we're knee deep into February, figured I might as well get around to etching my goals for the year in stone.  This is one of my favorite annual traditions, writing these down, and perhaps even more fun, looking back on past goals and reflections.  I find they are a reliable glimpse into a year, what happened, a memory of the landscape and climate of my life at the time, whether punctuated by a full-time job, a new baby, or occasionally both...

For 2017, I'm trying to switch it up and focus on a few new things.  So here goes..

+ throw kindness around like confetti
I recently discovered a postcard in my card box which read "throw kindness around like confetti" in beautiful gold letters.  I remember thinking to myself, now that's a good motto.  Though I typically aim to be friendly and polite, I don't typically set that intention for the day.  Be kind.  Exhibit grace. Exude kindness.  Whether it's taking the time to say 'thank you' or 'that was meaningful to me' to a friend or family member, to smiling at strangers, to looking for opportunities to bring kindness into someone else's day - I'm committing to doing a better job at depositing more kindness back into the world.

+ try new things
It's easy to fall into a familiar rut, especially when exhaustion sets in at the end of a long day.  I'm no different than the majority, it's very easy and convenient to collapse into the couch, remote in hand and defer to netflix.  However, this year, I'd like to try a few new things.  First, I want to attend a symphony and/or opera.  These are two experiences I've never tried, but have often wondered about and mused that I might enjoy.

+ build an exercise habit 
Now that my children have been sleeping through the night for a while now, it's really high time I resume an exercise routine.  I often set my alarm with fierce intention, willing my future self to jump out of bed upon its blaring and take to the pavement.  Yet, the reality of this is it is frequently upstaged by the snooze button.  Sleep is JUST. SO. GOOD.  I recently heard this quote which really resonated with me, "thoughts lead on to purposes, purposes go forth in action; actions form habits; habits decide character; and character fixes our destiny," by Tyron Edwards.  This is so true, and I want to apply it to many areas of my life, including exercise.  Making the commitment to better oneself can really make a world of difference.

+ give back
Not exactly sure how give back will materialize this year, but I want to feel like I'm contributing to the community.  I always felt I was fulfilling this as a teacher, helping to mold and enrich young minds, and I'm sure I'm doing this with my kids, but I want to try and extend that a step further.  Whether it be posting phone numbers for representatives for friends and family to see, call, and advocate for political issues, or volunteering more locally in my city and surrounding community, or donating money to causes I find worthy, I want to give back more in 2017.

+ bake something every week
We've thankfully gotten the hang of meal planning for the week, which has led to a fuller (and emptier) fridge, a healthier diet, and significantly less waste.  Now that I've mastered pie crust, I'm trying to resume my plan to make homemade bread a no-brainer part of my repertoire.  R and I enjoy baking together and would like this to become a weekly habit instead of a random Tuesday kind of thing.  Whether this is a simple quiche, white bread, or a fancier something like scones or a pie, I'm hopeful that this goal will stick.  A few recipes I've pinned that are eagerly awaiting creation and consumption include chocolate babka, braided cardamom bread, blood orange coffee cake...I could go on.

+ put away my phone
Recharge without the aid of a power adapter. Enough said.

Past goals for 20162015201420132012201120102009, 2008

image/maryruffle

1 comment

Emma said...

What lovely goals! They all have such meaning-and I love that they are goals, not resolutions :)