Whose Got Spirit?

While I don't consider myself a "hard-core" football fan, I definitely have school spirit. Granted, I may not know every player's name, jersey number, or yards rushing, but I do enjoy a good tailgate, and I definitely sport my purple and gold on Game Day.

Hence, my next point. My beloved Huskies (University of Washington) got crushed this weekend (concluding their 3rd straight loss with a depressing final score of 55-14). Granted they played #3 Oklahoma, but still, it was a brutal beating - let's just leave it at that.

While I'm optimistic for the rest of the season, I'm not gonna lie, it doesn't look good. So while I fully intend to be rooting my little heart out for the next 10 or so Saturdays, I sought out some inspiration via the Food Network.

When your team is losing, what do you do...EAT!! Comfort food queen Paula Deen has been cooking up some hearty dishes worthy of a Game Day victory (or defeat), including this Chili in a Biscuit bowl recipe that already has my stomach growling. Ideal for watching the game - you can even eat the bowl!Chili in a Biscuit Bowl

Vegetable oil cooking spray
2 cups biscuit baking mix (recommended: Bisquick)
2/3 cup whole milk
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Flour, for dusting the work surface
1 pound ground chuck
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
2 (14-ounce) cans Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon salt

Toppings:
Shredded sharp Cheddar
Sour cream
Sliced green onions (white and green parts)
Corn chips

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Invert a muffin tin and spray the underside with vegetable oil cooking spray.

Stir together the baking mix, milk, and cayenne. Shape into a ball. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead 3 or 4 times. Divide the ball into 6 pieces. Roll each piece into a 6-inch circle. Place a dough circle over the back of each muffin cup. Press around the cup to form a bowl shape. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until lightly browned. Let cool slightly. Remove the biscuit bowls and reserve.

Brown the ground chuck over medium heat in a Dutch oven. Add the onion and green pepper and continue to cook until the meat is completely browned and the vegetables are tender. Drain off any fat and discard. Stir in the tomatoes, beans, chili powder, and salt. Bring the mixture to a boil, cover, and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 35 minutes.

When ready to serve, spoon the hot chili into the biscuit bowls. Garnish with shredded cheese, sour cream, sliced green onions, and corn chips

image/washington
images+recipe/foodnetwork

No comments