Makes 1 dozen
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon grainy Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, plus sprigs and leaves for garnish
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh chives, plus snipped chives for garnish
- Prepare an ice-water bath. Put eggs in a medium saucepan. Cover with water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook, gently stirring as water begins to boil, 2 minutes. Cover, and remove from heat. Let stand 10 minutes. Transfer to the ice-water bath to cool.
- Peel eggs; halve lengthwise. Reserve 4 of the egg-white halves for another use. Pass yolks through sieve into a medium bowl using the back of a spoon. Stir in mayonnaise, mustard, and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in herbs.
- Transfer yolk mixture to a pastry bag fitted with an open-star tip (such as Ateco #825). Pipe mixture into whites, filling to 1/2 inch over surface. Garnish with herbs. Eggs can be refrigerated in an airtight container, up to 3 hours.