Silly Bandz

Have you seen these? They are called Silly Bandz. Since the beginning of the school year, sporting these brightly colored rubber band bracelets is the new fad in elementary school. Students try and collect as many different shapes and colors as possible until their wrists resemble rubber band rainbows. And not only that, recess provides the eagerly awaited opportunity for students to "trade," exchanging conversation over swapped bands.

Distracting much? As a teacher, let me tell you, I have confiscated many of these bands, simply because they are a constant distraction to some students during class. While these Silly Bandz haven't been banned yet in my school, there are others who are laying down the law.

On the flip side, as a kid who grew up in the snap bracelet era - I can appreciate why students want to keep them around. Just curious, what is your take on Silly Bandz?

12 comments

Melanie's Randomness said...

They were fun in my friend's pool like we would throw them all in & go get them & be like aww we got the penguin. Oh right I'm 25 not 5. I imagine they are like my generations Pogs. We trade them & get the rare ones. It must be annoying tho in the classroom cuz I can totally picture kids daydreaming & playing with them! Maybe the fad will fade fast!

Diana Mieczan said...

They look cool but they must be a pain at school:) Kisses

the southern hostess said...

Snap bracelets were the best.

Lindsay said...

Ughhh hate them! We banned them at the daycare, but when I was subbing the school allowed them. Such a distraction!!

Unknown said...

I was going to say the same thing - I grew up in the snap bracelet era and there was pokemon and all that garbage when I got a bit older. It's nothing new. But I have no idea what the appeal is about these bandz. Good luck dealing with that!

Unknown said...

these were big at my daughters school last year and they were banned. i can see both sides of it

stephanie. said...

my daughter loves them. she's only 5 and not into the "trading" aspect. yet, anyway. as a former teacher, i would SO want to have these banned!!! weekends and after school play dates are a good place for these suckers.

good luck!!

Thao said...

This is so funny, because we just saw our five year old niece wearing a bunch of them, and we were really confused. I think they're cute, but I might be annoyed if I were an elementary school teacher! I teach college, so let's hope none of my students are sporting wristfuls of Silly Bandz! :)

Anonymous said...

I am a college student and I have to say...I have some. :)
But my cousin (who is 6) has a massive collection. She said that trading with other kids is what's popular. I figured that's something that would happen at recess, but if it's happening during class I can see the problem!

Leesh said...

I wear one silly band that was given to me by my four year old niece. I didn't know that they were a fad.

I grew up wearing about 50 rubber bracelets on each arm, and at another point, friendship bracelets.

I can totally see how it can be distracting for kids in school.

Little Paper Trees said...

oh these just came to Australia..eek! used to love the good old snap bracelets!

Katrina said...

It's definitely not just a fad with elementary students. I'm student teaching at a high school right now and I have students wearing them in every class. One girl wears them up to her elbow!