Last Great Book I Read: Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Technically, I didn't actually read this book, I listened to the audiobook on CD.  I tried reading this book in the flesh, and perhaps it's the plot or my recent lack of attention span, but I just couldn't get into it.  However, my mom's book club read it and she recommended I try again, hence - the audiobook.  A brilliant way to keep myself occupied in transit and make traffic to and from work far less mundane.  

Where'd You Go, Bernadette is a unique story.  It vacillates between different viewpoints, monologues, character narratives, letters, and chains of emails to piece together the story of this unique family, it's matriarch and her unusual past that contributes to her odd personality and unorthodox behavior in a variety of situations.  

One thing I really enjoyed about this book?  Learning about Antarctica! Yes, you read that correctly. Early in the story, Bea (Bernadette's daughter) propositions her parents to take her to Antarctica as a graduation present.  While I never thought Antarctica would ever sound appealing as a travel destination, author Maria Semple somehow portrays the mystery, intrigue, and adventure of the white continent as incredibly captivating.

Have you read it?  What did you think?

P.S. - Other great audiobooks I'd recommend:
* Blood, Bones and Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton
* My Life in France by Julia Child
* Left Neglected by Lisa Genova
image/amazon

5 comments

Robyn said...

Not read it, not heard of it, but sounds interesting.

birdie to be said...

I just heard about this book too! I should def download it! Thanks for the other recommendations... I am always on the lookout for some great reads!

Lindsay said...

Good to know..the family I work for is moving and my commute is increasing so I'm looking into audiobooks for the drive!

Sarah Alway said...

I haven't read this one yet but I've heard SO many good things about it... it's on my list!

Sarah @ Life As Always

Linn said...

Thanks for the tip, and i will check it out :)