Last Great Book I Read: Blood, Bones, & Butter

Always a fan of memoirs, it was only a matter of time before I picked up Blood, Bones, and Butter by New York City chef Gabrielle Hamilton.  This book has officially become one of my favorite books...EVER.

Yet, if we're being honest...the first time I picked up this book, I couldn't really get into it.  I had a stack of books on my bedside table, and sipping in a few precious minutes of reading before drifting off to sleep simply didn't suit this book.  However, I couldn't shake the notion that this book was worth my while, especially since I had heard such glowing reviews.  Inevitably, I decided it merited a second look.  On my second attempt, I checked out the audiobook from my local library, and once the CD began rolling, I was captivated!  

The audio book is narrated by the author herself, Gabrielle Hamilton, who recounts her childhood, trials and tribulations in the world of chefdom, and many a culinary and familial experience with a beautiful grace and sharp wit.  She swears, she makes analogies dripping with description, and writes with such beautiful fluency, it was hard to stop listening.  I found myself making excuses to drive my car, simply so I could continue listening to her articulate her story, and I was quite sad when the last chapter of the last disc ended and the story was complete.  

Here's a sample from the audiobook to wet your appetite.

9 comments

Leslie said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it! It's funny how sometimes being exposed to things in a different medium can make them appealing. :)

Vanessa said...

I can't wait to read this book. I've got so many on deck, but I've heard only good things about it. After I finish the Hunger Games series, this might be next!

Alexa said...

Oooh I have heard amazing things about this book!

Stevie said...

I love memoirs, too. They're probably my favorite genre to read. I've heard good things about this one! Definitely adding it to my Goodreads. Are you on there?

the southern hostess said...

You've got me sold! I'll have to check it out.

Gracey Williams said...

I haven't read this but it sounds interesting! I'll have to recommend this to my sister, it sounds just like something she would read.

Unknown said...

I am totally judging this book by its cover. For the better, of course!

Diana Mieczan said...

I heard such great things about this book and I am totally going to read it now. Thanks so much, sweetie. xo

Carrie said...

I love listening to audiobooks on my commute. I'll have to request this title at the library!