Dinner Last Night: Ramen Vegetable Soup

I don't know about you, but in college I ate a lot of Top Ramen.  I know my friend Heather can attest to those days. :) Gosh, looking back, I think, did I'm thankful I am long past the days of adding powdered chicken flavoring to water and calling it a meal.  But back then, it was such an easy, quick dinner that was ideal for the busyness of college life.  

Until recently, this was the only ramen I knew of. I didn't realize another, truer version of this soup existed until I visited Japan in 2010.  Wow, talk about a wake up call!  The authentic, real jam-packed savory bowls of noodles, meat, and vegetables put those powdered chicken broth packets to shame.  

This ramen vegetable soup recipe was simple enough, and Martha Stewart endorsed (always a welcome seal of approval).  While it's not quite the overflowing bowl of gustatory loveliness I had in Japan, it was tasty and easy to concoct.  Funny enough, it calls for those familiar grocery store noodle packets (minus the powdered broth, of course).  Since I had more vegetables on hand, I added in mushrooms and peas to the mix.  One thing to keep in mind for reheating, the ramen noodles soak up a LOT of broth, so it might be beneficial to keep some extra on hand for leftovers.


5 comments

Sarah Alway said...

Yum, that looks delicious!

Melanie said...

I'm addicted to ramen, still am! I gotta try out this recipe!! =) Looks yummy!!

Ergo - Blog

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

Oh I must try this! There is a great Ramen Noodle place in Greenwood called Aloha Ramen, tiny little place but delish! Cup O' Noodle in the kitchenette after a thursday night out - yep, sounds about right! ;)

Nicole Marie said...

such a good idea for winter!! and i can make it without an oven!! wohoo!

heather{land} said...

Oh man. Thank goodness we are beyond the days of 99cent ramen and easy mac. I have a few recipes calling for packages of ramen (minus the seasoning packets), but recently found a little asian market in my neck of the woods that has bulk bags of ramen noodles. yum!