Thursday, November 15, 2012

Dinner Last Night: Ramen Vegetable Soup

I don't know about you, but in college I ate a lot of Top Ramen.  I know my friend Heather can attest to those days. :) Gosh, looking back, I think, did I'm thankful I am long past the days of adding powdered chicken flavoring to water and calling it a meal.  But back then, it was such an easy, quick dinner that was ideal for the busyness of college life.  

Until recently, this was the only ramen I knew of. I didn't realize another, truer version of this soup existed until I visited Japan in 2010.  Wow, talk about a wake up call!  The authentic, real jam-packed savory bowls of noodles, meat, and vegetables put those powdered chicken broth packets to shame.  

This ramen vegetable soup recipe was simple enough, and Martha Stewart endorsed (always a welcome seal of approval).  While it's not quite the overflowing bowl of gustatory loveliness I had in Japan, it was tasty and easy to concoct.  Funny enough, it calls for those familiar grocery store noodle packets (minus the powdered broth, of course).  Since I had more vegetables on hand, I added in mushrooms and peas to the mix.  One thing to keep in mind for reheating, the ramen noodles soak up a LOT of broth, so it might be beneficial to keep some extra on hand for leftovers.


Sarah and Stewart said...

Yum, that looks delicious!

Chloe Moon said...

I'm addicted to ramen, still am! I gotta try out this recipe!! =) Looks yummy!!

Ergo - Blog

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

Oh I must try this! There is a great Ramen Noodle place in Greenwood called Aloha Ramen, tiny little place but delish! Cup O' Noodle in the kitchenette after a thursday night out - yep, sounds about right! ;)

Nicole Marie said...

such a good idea for winter!! and i can make it without an oven!! wohoo!

heather{land} said...

Oh man. Thank goodness we are beyond the days of 99cent ramen and easy mac. I have a few recipes calling for packages of ramen (minus the seasoning packets), but recently found a little asian market in my neck of the woods that has bulk bags of ramen noodles. yum!


Blog Widget by LinkWithin