Toothless Wonder

Did I tell you my cat had 11 teeth extracted last week?  Yes, you read that right...11!  ELEVEN!   How many teeth does a cat have, you might be asking yourself.  Thirty to be exact.  I had to google it and then confirm with the vet (just to be sure). 

Yes, my poor Jenga went in for a routine teeth cleaning (or at least, I had assumed it was routine).  I had to sign a sizable load of paperwork to even release her for this routine procedure.  A few hours later, I received a phone call, telling me my poor cat has a genetic condition where her body is basically viewing her teeth as "foreign," trying to rid itself of them, so many of her teeth were basically decaying in her mouth.  OUCH!  Can you believe that?!  My poor, poor kitty, I felt so bad for her.  The vet said she had probably been in a lot of pain up until this point, which made me feel horrible (since she hadn't been acting any different).  Luckily the procedure would alleviate much of her discomfort and lead her on a path to feeling better ASAP...phew!

So a few hours later, I picked up my groggy, drugged up, out-of-it cat, 11-teeth lighter, to take her home to recuperate and sleep off the worst of it.  A week and a few bottles of medicine later, she is doing much, much better.  Turns out, 11 missing teeth isn't as obvious as one would think.  Now, she's got one mean snaggletooth to boast about at the end of the day.  :) 

images/myphotos

5 comments

Teresa said...

Poor kitty!! They are worth it though! Ran across this quote today which I loved: There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music & Cats. -Albert Schweitzer

Holly said...

aww, your poor lil baby!! one of my cats has a rotten tooth in the back of her mouth and the vet wants to extract it, but quoted me $1000! which sadly, i cant afford right now, and my cat is 13 years old. i cant imagine the cost to extract 11 teeth!

Carrie said...

Aww, poor kitty. I'm glad Jenga seems to be feeling better now.

Shoko said...

Oh my goodness, poor little guy! Such a cutie :)

Mrs. Biscuit said...

This past November we had to have some of my kitty's teeth removed. He managed the surgery like a champ and definitely has seemed to feel and act much better since then!

Before his teeth were removed he always had the most putrid breath-- it was so bad I tried brushing his teeth, and you can probably imagine how that went down! Haha!

Needless to say... Hurray for your kitty! I bet she feels good as new!

<3 <3 <3

MuffinLovesBiscuit and the Tale of the Bad Kitty Teeth