Last Great Book I Read

I have a double dose of "Last Great Book I Read" for you today, since I've been trying to maximize my last few weeks of summer vacation by catching up on my reading.  

I Never Promised You A Goodie Bag by Jennifer Gilbert
This book hooked me right away, always a good sign!  This memoir details the life of Jennifer Gilbert, a groundbreaking female entrepreneur working the event circuit in NYC. Gilbert shares her experiences about a violent event that happened to her in her young adulthood, moving on, letting go, and learning how to really live.  Throughout the memoir, she speaks candidly about all of the insecurities behind her wildly successful facade in refreshingly honest, relatable way. Highly recommend!
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
This book is topping the bestseller charts right now, and I now understand why. I devoured this book, seriously, I read this in less than 48 hours!  It is an incredibly engaging, often dark read, peppered by endless unpredictable twists and turns throughout.   The chapters alternate narrators in sequence, so the back and forth point of view keeps you anxiously hanging on for more.  Not sure how I feel about the ending, but this book is a page turner if there ever was one!

 What have you been reading lately?

images/amazon

15 comments

Jenny said...

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm currently rereading all of the Anne of Green Gables books so I have a feeling when I finish I'll be looking to get out of the 19th century and ready for one of these.

Nicole Marie said...

i'm reading gone girl right now!

Anacristina said...

I'm reading The Beautiful and Damned and I'm just having a hard time getting through it. I know everyone is a Fitzgerald & a Great Gatsby fan but I'm really struggling to like his style. But the last good book I read was definitely Wild by Cheryl Strayed.

x's & o's
Anacristina
laughsandicecream.blogspot.com

Katherine - The Beauty of Life said...

Great recommendations, they both sound really good. I just read Bossypants by Tina Fey and really enjoyed it :D

Lindsay said...

Thanks! Need something new to check out!

Ashlee Gadd said...

Ooooh adding both of these to my Goodreads. Somewhat embarrassed to say I'm reading "Becoming Sister Wives"....but it's so fascinating to me!!

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

Both of these are on my list!

luke and pamela said...

jut read two great books. i LOVE when the book i'm reading turns out to be fabulous. you've probably read them already, but: State of Wonder made me think and was an adventure, a romance, a mystery and scientific all at once. and the Fault in our Stars, which is a young adult easy read but so witty and lovely.

Alexa said...

Ooh good recs. I'm currently reading In the Garden of the Beasts. Really really good.

Linda said...

I Never Promised You A Goodie Bag sounds great. I'll put it on my list.
Gone Girl was fantastic.
I recently finished Our Fault In The Stars. Amazing. I'm currently reading Blonde by Joyce Carole Oates.

Randi said...

Gone Girl blew my mind! I am still reeling from that book. So well written and unpredictable. I am just starting Wild. It's gotten rave reviews so we shall see...

XoXo

wildmagnolia17.blogspot.com

Gracey Williams said...

ahhh great recommendations! I have about 6 unread books on my iPad that I need to get through before I start any new ones!

Hitha said...

I'm so glad you liked "I Never Promised..."

I read Gone Girl this weekend and couldn't put it down! Currently reading Jack Kennedy - Elusive Hero and adore it. Snobs by Julian Fellows is my next read (a very Downton Abbey-esque book).

Katie said...

hey i told you to read gone girl! and you told me to read the other one, which was AMAZING! i read it in 4 hours. excited to see you!

Shoko said...

I've heard so much about "Gone Girl" - I'm so curious now!