Salad Savvy: Massaged Kale Salad

I admit, I was initially reluctant to jump on the raw kale bandwagon, but once I did, I haven't looked back!  I was introduced to this salad by my friend Baillie, who served this salad at a recent dinner party.  My husband (always a bit skeptical of kale) ate every bite, it was insanely good!  We also had a good chuckle over the name of the dish, massaged kale salad.  It's not everyday you think about massaging salad, but you literally massage the dressing to soften the tough kale leaves.

The dressing is sooo ridiculously easy, it's almost comical.  I actually had to double back and reread the recipe going, "wait a minute...did I forget an ingredient?!"  Nope.  Honey + lemon juice + olive oil.  That's all, easy peasy.  The tart of lemon balanced with the sweetness of mango made for gustatory perfection, I truly forgot I was eating kale.  The recipe calls for pepitas, which I didn't have on hand, but I tossed a handful of blueberries instead, and it tasted just fine.

Other tried & true kale recipes





10 comments

Natalie said...

I just bought tons of kale and have been looking for more ways to use it -- this is perfect! Can't wait to try!

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

I LOVE kale! Nick...not so much a fan

Shoko said...

This looks delightful! The next kale recipe I'm dying to try is this one: http://www.thefirstmess.com/2012/08/08/summer-panzanella-recipe-video/

Holly said...

im still in the skeptical camp :p

The Michelle Show said...

Have you tried a Kale smoothie? I'm ANTI green smoothie - seriously, fruit all the way. But my husband mixes Kale into our smoothies often and I love it. We also do a green smoothie with green apple, citrus and kale. Amazing! And you get to look all snazzy and healthy while drinking it. Bonus, no?

Sienna said...

i love kale! kale chips are the best

meme-and-he said...

yes! can't wait to try these out...kale is the new thing this season!

Robyn Litchfield said...

Trying this! Love the blog! Check mine out :) www.adashofrobs.blogspot.com

Diana Mieczan said...

Kale is so healthy and delicious and I cant wait to try this salad. Have a great day.

Jenny said...

I have a bunch of kale in my fridge right now. I always buy it in attempts to make myself eat better and then it sits and sits because other, less healthy things always look more appetizing AND I have a husband who usually doesn't like it so the fact that yours did gives me a lot of hope!