Weekend Baking: Cherry Peach Pie

I've been inspired to bake lately, and this weekend, I baked a pie.  I haven't baked a pie in over a year, and the last time I technically assisted while my grandmother did most of the work.  But this time, I baked a cherry-peach pie all by myself; I made the crust, filling, and everything from scratch!  

I wish I could tell you everything about the pie turned out perfectly.  Ultimately, it looked great, and tasted great (crust and filling alike), but the fruit filling was definitely on the soupy side.  When I cut myself a slice, it definitely didn't hold its pie shape on the plate.  I was a little disappointed that it wasn't a "perfect" pie, and I'm wondering if that's the result of using all fresh fruit (as opposed to frozen).  I've only made apple pie before, and those always stayed pretty dense, so I don't have much to compare this baking experience to.

Do you have any pie baking tricks for making a pie less soupy?  If so, please share! 
I've got a few more weeks of summer vacation to perfect my pie baking techniques.

5 comments

sheralynt said...

I love pies - especially with an abundance of summer fruit! As for making filling less runny, try using tapioca starch... it's supposed to be better for high-acidity fruits like cherries, blueberries etc.

Also, I don't know if it's just me but I would take a slice of runny pie over a too-solid slice any day.

rooth said...

My pies end up kind of soupy as well. So I just turn them into crumbles :)

Tinyo said...

Toss you fruit in flour as the starch then thickens up any juice that flows out mid bake

huebscher said...

minute tapioca, pulverized in the spice grinder for a minute. or potato starch. neither adds any starchy flavor to the pie.

Anonymous said...

YUM. That photo looks delicious.

xx
Quiet Luxury