Lonely Planet

When it comes to travel guidebooks, I'm loyal to Lonely Planet. I've had good experiences relying on these books in times of travel, and have several of these thick travel books gathering dust on my bookshelf. My most recent Lonely Planet purchase was my LP Japan, already bookmarked with sticky notes in excited anticipation of my July trip!

However, I recently learned there is a new Lonely Planet series, Lonely Planet DISCOVER. Before I spend another $30 on another Japan guidebook, I want to know if it's worth the purchase. Has anyone used the Discover series? Or vouch for how it's different than the original? I guess I could just pop into Barnes & Noble, but I figured this might be easier.
images/lonelyplanet

4 comments

Vivian said...

Hmm, good question. From what I can see, the 'Discover' series are just more colorful and user-friendly. I haven't opened one, but I imagine there is perhaps less information, just more pictures?

My LP Japan is my bible. It got me angry and lost a few times, but it's the best for finding cheap accommodation and nice local food joints. It's so heavy though- I started tearing out pages every time I take a trip so I don't carry the whole book. It's so messy, but it's been to so many places! :)

Unknown said...

What about looking at the library to see if they have a copy... then you can spend some good time with it and see for yourself free of charge! :)

Diana Mieczan said...

Hmmm ...I wont be able to help you with this one...Sorry:)
kisses

Erica said...

can you download chapters of these like you can the original LPs?