If You Like Ghost Stories...

Truth: I'm a scaredy cat. Always have been, always will be. I'm semi-afraid of the dark, haunted houses, creepy sound effects, and ghosts. While I do believe in ghosts, I must admit they scare me quite a bit. Yes, I'm a slightly tougher when it comes to scary books, but I'm a wimp when it comes to scary movies. For example, the Scream series - as in the Courteney Cox movies - most people viewed as fluff Hollywood slasher movies - these films terrified me! In high school, I was afraid to answer my phone for about a month for fear that someone was lurking outside my window waiting for me to take the bait.

So as you can imagine, I've never been a big fan of ghost novels, or anything of the sort. But when I heard Audry Niffenegger (author of The Time Traveler's Wife) had written a book, I overlooked the "ghost" factor and decided to try it out. The story Her Fearful Symmetry is very unusual, and unlike any other book I've read. It was thought provoking and interesting in it's ghostly nature, but it is definitely a book that's easy to get into and read through.

My rating: I would give it a B, maybe even a B- as I wasn't keen on the ending. But remember I'm biased - I don't like ghost stories, so perhaps you should read and judge for yourself.

image/amazon

9 comments

Mary said...

I've heard mixed reviews about the book, but I just got it and plan to read it soon.

Melanie's Randomness said...

I actually really wanted to read this. I love Audry Niffenegger's Time Traveler's wife! I thought it was great. I like ghost stories so I'm definitely going to give this one a whirl!

Renee said...

Haha, so funny! I am also so easy to scare.

Diana Mieczan said...

I am so easy to scare but I would love to read this book...Kisses sweetie and Happy Thursday:)
Muah

C'est La Vie said...

i'm taking a LONG road trip this weekend so i believe i'm going to go get this...it's appealing to me

Stevie said...

I also really enjoyed this book, but not the ending. It sort of just fizzled out. But the overall story was great.

I love a good scary story!

Anonymous said...

thanks for the review. i'm looking for a new book and will pick it up this week.

anna said...

Don't compare this book to The Time Traveler's Wife -- definitely going to be a letdown if you do. If you are looking for a ghostly story, The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield is intriguing. If you're looking for more along the lines of The Time Traveler's Wife, My Name is Memory by Ann Brashares should not disappoint, (although no story is as romantic as Henry's and Clare's :)

Anonymous said...

Glad I'm not the only one who's a totaly wimp - even Harry Potter can be a bit scary for me, and I'm a grown woman! Intruiged by this book though, I love the Time Traveller's Wife!