The best part is, critics think this trend has staying power. Tacos piled high with beef, cucumber kimchi, daikon kimchi, ssamjang, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime...making for a taco that is "spicy, sweet, tart, and meaty, everything a taco should be." If you're in Seattle, hit up Marination, or try this fad out on your own...
Dwaeji (Spicy Pork) BulgogiAdapted from Kye Soon Hong
Makes enough for about 12 tacos
• 1 pound pork shoulder, thinly sliced (preferably from a Korean or Japanese market)
• 3 tablespoons coarse-ground hot Korean red pepper powder
• 1 tablespoons soy sauce
• 1 tablespoon sugar
• 1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil
• 1 tablespoon minced garlic
• 2 tablespoons mirin
• pinch of black pepper
Combine all ingredients and marinate at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours. Cook meat on a grill or in a skillet, then chop for tacos.
Kimchi Fried RiceAdapted from Kye Soon Hong
Makes about 5 cups, enough for 4 burritos
• 4 cups cooked rice, cooled and chilled in refrigerator
• 4 strips bacon, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
• 2 cups Napa cabbage kimchi, the riper the better, diced
• 1 tablespoon butter
• 2 teaspoons sesame oil
• sesame seeds, for garnish
• sliced scallions, white and green parts, for garnish
1. Cook the bacon in a large skillet or wok over medium heat. Add the kimchi and cook several minutes.
2. Raise the heat to high, add the rice and stir-fry several minutes, until rice is beginning to brown.
3. Stir in butter and sesame oil. Season with sesame seed and salt to taste and garnish with scallions.
Napa-Romaine SlawMakes about 6 cups, enough for many tacos, with leftovers
For the dressing:
• 1 tablespoon soy sauce
• 1-1/2 teaspoons lime juice
• 1-1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
• 1/4 teaspoon sugar
For the salad:
• 4 cups (5 ounces) shredded romaine lettuce
• 2 cups (3 ounces) shredded Napa cabbage
• 1/2 cup (2 ounces) thinly sliced onion
• toasted sesame seeds for garnish
Toss the salad in a large bowl with 1 tablespoon of the dressing. Add more dressing to taste and garnish generously with sesame seeds.