The Pie Project

In an effort to up my game as a baker and make a mark on this year's Thanksgiving, I've decided to learn how to make perfect pie crust.  Challenge accepted.  "Have you ever made a pie before?" one might ask...  The answer is, "well yes," I've made pie crust here and there through the years, but not without painstakingly flipping back and forth from a cookbook to my floury surface, fingers sticky with dough, to ensure I don't miss a crucial step.  This is my goal - to become such an "expert" at pie crust, the recipe is no longer necessary - it'll be all from memory.  So, here goes,"The Pie Project."  Make 30 pies.  Not giving myself a deadline, as I'm trying to be realistic as I currently have a full time job and an active 14-month old, among the rest of my life.  But I'm inspired.  And excited.

So...what should my first pie be?  I was thinking about this...

images/food52

4 comments

Magatha-May said...

ohhhh, try a chocolate chiffon pie :)

Anonymous said...

this is a great crust that is hard to mess up: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/no_fail_flakey_pastry_crust/

Jenny said...

Yum! That sounds like a great idea! Good luck! I hope you post lots of good recipes for us to try!

heather said...

Michelle -- great idea :) I actually used a combo of recipes. The one I liked (and now cannot find for the life of me) for crust used tapioca pudding mix as a thickener (I ground it up in a spice grinder). Smitten Kitchen also has a GREAT tutorial on lattice top making too. Good luck. Can't wait to see the fruits of your kitchen labors!