Yard at Work

My boyfriend and I have been hard at work trying to make sense of our yard. Upon purchasing the house, I inherited a few lovely pre-existing trees/shrubs; a large camellia tree, several lilac bushes, and a handful of wild rose bushes. Nice, right?

So when it came time to add some bounty to the yard, I thought I had a decent flower knowledge upon entering the nursery....WRONG! My knowledge was paltry, as I realized I could barely identify half the herbs... In a nutshell, my first time to the plant store was very overwhelming. I slowly pushed my cart through the endless rows of sun plants, shade plants, perennials, etc. Even with a salesperson helping me, it was a lot of information to absorb in one fell swoop.

Finally, after frantically calling my boyfriend and having him google the plants I liked while at work, I selected a few that fit the profile to survive a Seattle fall and winter. So, to our yard we recently added the following: some green grassy plants, a daphne, and a few Pieris fire and ice plants. I admit, I've never had an especially green thumb but they're looking good so far...

4 comments

Diana Mieczan said...

I would love to have a graden...yard:)

Have fun with it all and it sounds like you have amazing herbs and plants..there:)

Happy Tuesday,sweetie

samantha ramage said...

I agree. When I moved into my apartment with my fiance we asked about gardening and my landlord said he would love it. We got a book. I started looking at it and stopped at the first chapter. Totally overwhelmed! I still haven't bought a single plant. But i do pick quite a few herbs from my Uncle's and soon to be mother in law's gardens... good luck!

xoxoxox
Sami

Unknown said...

Ooooh sounds lovely! I'm a wee bit jealous, living in an apartment for so amny years has left me yearning hard for a lawn/yard/garden of my own.

Stevie said...

Good luck! If you ever have questions, let me know. I love gardening and have a fair amount of knowledge in that area.

I LOVE Daphne. It smells absolutely heavenly when it blooms. And it grows really well around here.