Dinner Last Night: Ina Garten's Pasta Fagioli

I've been searching for a delicious pasta fagioli recipe for a while now that's fairly easy, and I think Ina Garten's recipe is just the ticket - partly because she uses Goya's 16 Bean Soup mix which was conveniently available on amazon.

Now truth be told, I didn't follow the recipe to a T.  I usually forgot to preview recipes, and this one suggests soaking the beans overnight to soften.  Whoops.  When you read this at 1:30 pm and dinner's at 6:00, you gotta improvise.  I ended up just cooking the soup for longer on the stove and skipped the step of pureeing 1/3 of the beans, but ultimately, it all worked out, the beans were tender enough for consumption and a dinner crisis was averted. Phew! I also bought pre-diced pancetta to simplify, and basically it was a combine and wait kind of dinner...my favorite!  My kids eat it, though they needed some coaxing.  What is it about soup that scares my children, I tell ya!  Anyway, we licked the bowls clean, and had a few days of leftovers, always a plus.

No comments