Dinner for One

Per Joanna's recommendation, I picked up Alone in the Kitchen with an Eggplant - Confessions of Dining Alone, at the library to read on the plane en route to my weekend in Michigan. Since I currently live alone, I do end up making meals for myself fairly often intermittent with nights my boyfriend and I either grab take-out, or make dinner together.

The book I thought was okay, some of the vignettes are very interesting, tales of unusual foods scavenged on when no one else is around. My favorite was the story from the title itself, "Alone in the Kitchen with an Eggplant" by Laurie Colwin.

Eggplant was her solo meal of choice, and actually that is a vegetable I cook quite often for myself as well. Here is one of my favorite quick and easy, dining-for-one, eggplant dishes - Parmesan-Eggplant Crisps. It's light, healthy, and I believe originally a recipe recommended by Weight Watchers. Try it sometime, that is, if you ever find yourself alone in the kitchen with an eggplant...

image/amazon

2 comments

Anonymous said...

I should read this! I've been struggling with ideas for meals for one. And the eggplant crisps sound delicious. Thanks for the tip!

bethany said...

I almost picked this book up...it was on clearance for a few bucks, but I wound up buying another!

Maybe I'll have to loop back and snatch it up :)