Trendy Fruit

For the record: I have loved pomegranates LONG before they were trendy! Long before the days pom-tinis or POMwonderful juice, my family actually had a pomegranate bush in our front yard when we lived in California. My mom used to cut open the pomegranate for us with a huge kitchen knife, and we'd sit at the kitchen counter, picking apart this complicated fruit, the sticky juices running down our fingers. It's funny now looking back as pomegranates seem to be starring in the food world these days! In grade school, my mom would often pack a pomegranate wedge in my lunch, and when I'd pull it out to indulge, people would stare at me in bewilderment. I guess times change... image/maryruffle

9 comments

Callie Grayson said...

yummy! i love them too in salads.

Vivian said...

Me too! I used to eat them in Elementary school, it was a bit trendy for a while, we'd get our fingers all dirty!

Anonymous said...

Wow, you had a pomegranate bush? That's very exotic :-)

Anonymous said...

wow a pomegranate bush! that's completely special...i don't eat pomegranate much but i love its rich color:p

Anonymous said...

I love how involved eating a pomegranate can be. Now I really, really want one :)

Jackie said...

Thank you so much for sending Mookie your love! I appreciate it!

Leigh said...

I always feel lucky when I'm eating a pomegranate -- like I'm eating some kind of precious miracle fruit. The seeds are like little jewels, and it's so rewarding to break into one and enjoy all the little morsels.

Rachel said...

Oh, us California kids. My parents house has two pomegranate trees and I still go home every year to help with the harvest and jelly making. I think the only thing I love more than fresh pomegranates is my mom's pomegranate jelly.

Nicole Marie said...

haha you're right they have become quite trendy. i think the seeds are fun to eat :)