Calligraphy Aficionado

How did I forget to post about this?!  I've decided to pick up a new hobby - calligraphy!  We hired a local Seattle calligrapher to address our wedding invitations, and we were over the moon with the results!  The beautiful script truly enhances an invitation, I was so pleased with the results, I've been eager to try my hand at it ever since!

In late January, my friend Sarah and I took a 2-hour calligraphy class.  And man, let me tell you, calligraphy may look easy, but it is no easy task!  We used the old fashioned style "dip" calligraphy pens with metal nibs.  It took a while to get the hang of it, but inevitably we had a rhythm going.  

Now, at only 2-hours of practice, I'd hardly call myself an expert.  The next step in my plan to to acquire calligraphy supplies of my own and practice, practice, practice!  My long-term goal is that perhaps one day, I'll be experienced enough to make a side-business out of this.  Know anyone who needs a calligrapher?  Contact me in 1-2 years...  Here's hoping!

myphotos

11 comments

Callie Grayson said...

I love the whole romance if it! What a fun new hobby for yu!
Xx
Callie

heather{land} said...

You have such nice handwriting already... I think once you get the hang of it and discover your own unique flourish, your calligraphy will be definitely beautiful :)

Vanessa said...

My boyfriend (who is also a teacher) told me that a lot of kids today can't even read cursive handwriting! And the certainly never use it. I find it so sad, it's so beautiful, I would hate to see something so lovely die out.

Leslie said...

Very cool! I wish I had the talent to learn. :)

samantha ramage said...

what a good idea! i wanted to teach myself calligraphy for my wedding invites! ha!

xo
sami

Erika Peterson said...

I'd totally hire you :) When the day comes, maybe I'll ask Carol to connect us!

Andrea said...

Can I book you in advance? I love calligraphy on wedding invites! It makes them look so pulled together!

rooth said...

How cool - my father tried to get me into calligraphy when I was a child and I still have the entire set. It takes a lot of patience!

Alexa said...

Ooooh I agree that it is so romantic! They are going to look gorgeous!

Tiffany @ Savor Home said...

Calligraphy is so classic. Love it. You are doing a great job. I would totally hire you!

Rebecca said...

Very cool! I love when we receive beautiful snail mail!