Star of the Week

While I would sum up the majority of my blog readers to be twenty-something childless people like myself - I thought I'd give my 2 cents as a teacher, and deliver a smashing children's book review. If you haven't yet been introduced...meet Scaredy Squirrel.

This book is a Washington Children's Choice nominee (and winner at my elementary school). Author Melanie Watt's fearful protagonist is vulnerable, likable, and completely relatable. With the plot centering around a young squirrel afraid of all things unknown, this book is well suited for an anxiety prone youngster or perhaps the oldest son/daughter who is a little hesitant at taking risks.

This pioneer book is the first in a series of 3, "Scaredy Squirrel," "Scaredy Squirrel Makes a Friend," and "Scaredy Squirrel at the Beach," each tackling how this cautious little flying squirrel braves unfamiliar situations and rises to a challenge. Infused with humor, phenomenal illustrations, and a meaningful message...one can't resist the charms of Scaredy Squirrel! Hey - I own all 3, and cannot say enough wonderful things!

image/scaredysquirrel

2 comments

Carla said...

truly awesome books. I have yet to show it to a classmate of mine who hasn't thought it was amazing! may have to invest in these myself. :)

AJK said...

if i knew anyone with a child i would get it for them ;)