Happy Pączki Day

Yes, you read that right, Happy Pączki Day...well belated because technically I was flying home from Mexico on Fat Tuesday, which is also known as Pączki day in Polish culture. Despite all the consonants in the name, pączki {prounounced poonch-kee} is a customary Polish sweet treat and indulgence before Lent.

What exactly is a pączki, you ask? Well, technically it's a deep-fried piece of dough flattened and filled with a sweet filling and usually topped with powdered sugar, icing, or dried orange zest. My 100% Polish, mid-western sweetie grew up celebrating this day, so I thought I'd post about it for him. Unfortunately there aren't as many Polish bakeries out in Seattle as there are in Michigan it turns out, so we've discovered pączkis are hard to come by... If anything, food for thought, happy pączki day!

image/strykowski

10 comments

Selfish Jean said...

The Metropolitan Market is currently carrying Paczki's! I haven't tried them but hope to soon :)

abby said...

ahh look too delish

Caroline said...

Mmmm Mmmm Mmm!! XO

Giovanna said...

they look fantastic. i love anything fried dough. you should try to make them since you can't find them in seattle.

the southern hostess said...

Oh my goodness! Those look amazing!

Jackie said...

Wow, those sound divine!

E said...

I think I would kill for one of these. Not sure, but maybe :)

luke and pamela said...

yes, these ARE all over michigan right now. i can't believe i missed the official day! :(

Christin said...

A-Ha! That's what they are! I'm not native to Chicago but saw them at the grocery store this weekend. It all makes sense now : )

Anonymous said...

In Switzerland there's something similar, called "Berliner". Its like a donut without a hole and a raspberry jam filling.