Library Love

Are you a book buyer or a library frequenter? Once upon a time, I used to be a book buyer... There's just something about a brand new book, it has that lovely new book smell, the pages are crisp and waiting to be turned, and it looks so esteemed resting on your shelf amidst all your other books after reading...

But soon enough, I had a reality check after saving receipts and realized, wow, I've acquired quite an expensive habit! As a teacher I know how nice it is to have the title you want to read to your class right there, ready to go....And for grown-up reads, I sometimes have to resist the urge to pick up that shiny new title calling out to me from the NY Times bestseller shelf.

Since I've become a teacher, I've become a library frequenter. And to keep up with the latest and greatest, I peruse Amazon to search for new titles and then immediately zip over to my library's home page to add them to my request list.

If you've never done the "library thing," I suggest you reconsider, I was pleasantly surprised how I could reserve everything online. Then, when my books come in, I get a handy email reminder. This makes pick-up a breeze, as all the titles are waiting for me under my last name.

image/jcrew

11 comments

Holly said...

my future MIL does this all the time, im really intriguied by it. its seriously a lifestyle choice. im not trying to be dramatic!

im making it my goal to update my library card before november!

Everyday Adventures said...

YAY to library goers! My sister is a librarian so I definitly support the library! plus save tons of extra money:)

Lindsay said...

I am a combination of both, but I never buy books at full price. I buy only my favorite books (that I will re-read again) from Half-Price Books. I love reading new books from the library!

ferina said...

i'm a book buyer. and sometimes i buy book via online book shop, so i can get discount.
i really wish to find a really good library nearby, so i can read anybooks i want and will only but books i really like.

do you like reading e-books?

Amanda said...

Oh I know!! I really have found new love in the library. It's free--why do I spend my hard earned money on movies, books, and magazines?

It's a simple solution to a complicated money problem that everyone has.

I'm a aspiring teacher, so I'll definitely be using the library forever.

Brittany said...

that's funny, i had the exact same experience! i use amazon and entertainment weekly to find new books to put on hold. my only thing is that if i really loved the book then i'll buy it with a coupon and add to my library. that way, the books i own are the books i really love.

Mary said...

I totally need to do this - I am a book buyer at the moment, but I'm trying to reform!

Linda said...

I love the library. I rarely buy books (mostly as gifts). Sometimes I go to Half Price books for myself. But our shelves are full and there's no room for more books!

heather{land} said...

I finally got a library card here...it is so nice (plus I saved some money on books for my classes!).

Anonymous said...

I love the library! It's disappointing to me that college life is so busy, because when I was younger I would spend my afternoons there. Just reading everything I could get my hands on. All types of books.

I find it much more rewarding than simply buying a book I want.

Unknown said...

I do both. Some books and certain authors I know I'm going to savour and write notes in and outline parts that I adore or are really striking, so those I buy. However, if at all possible I buy from used books stores or online at Amazon, and I very rarely buy hardbacks, they are more money and they take up more space, plus they are harder to lug around. But I too love the library. I really enjoy that they have books on CD which is great to listen to on my commute!! Books are a comfort to me so I have to have them in my house. :)