What's In Your Nail Polish?

Before diving into the world of clean products, I never gave my nail polish a second thought.  Aside from the obvious chemical smell, I hadn't considered what ingredients might be lurking inside.  Turns out, they're not great.

Many toxic chemicals are frequently found in nail polish.  The top offending ingredients can include formaldehyde, formaldehyde resin, DBP, parabens, camphor, toluene, lead, among others... Yikes! And of course, my go-to Target brand, Essie, tops the list, in addition to Maybelline, OPI, Cover Girl, Orly, Revlon, Sally Hansen, Sephora, Ulta, and Wet n Wild.

Pictured above is the beginning of my clean nail polish collection!  So far, I only have four bottles; three colors and one clear top coat, but I take comfort in knowing that these are 5-free (meaning free of formaldehyde, formaldehyde resin, toluene, DBP, and camphor).   Zoya is a reputable brand which I honestly picked simply because it's at the same price point as Essie (approximately $10 per bottle), and it's available on amazon.  The colors I have are Brynn, Aubrey, Elodie, and Armor Top coat (from left to right).

Other 5-free nail polish brands include Jamberry, Julep, and L'Oreal.  Even cleaner brands (absent of ethyl tosylamide and xylene) include Butter London ($15 per bottle) and Smith & Cult (from $18 per bottle).  I ended up not going with these purely based on price point as they're a bit more expensive.  

And stay tuned, coming soon...more info on clean nail polish removers!

No comments