Giraffes in Danger

A news article popped up on my Facebook feed the other day, and I can't seem to get it out of my mind, the title read "Giraffes in Danger of Extinction."  As a result of poaching and habitat loss, giraffe populations across Africa are dropping at a rapid rate.  They called it "a silent extinction," stating "numbers have gone down from 140,000 to fewer than 80,000 today."  Isn't that terrible?  According to the article, poaching is a significant problem, as a giraffe is a relatively easy kill to hunters, and can yield a substantial amount of meat and resources to local tribes.

I have always regarded giraffes as beautiful, majestic animals.  The hopeful travel bug in me has always imagined that one day I'll Africa, and have the opportunity to see a giraffe in its natural habitat.  I sincerely hope my family and I have will still have that opportunity years from now.

image/bbb

No comments