Baking with Coconut Flour

I first read about baking with coconut flour here.  I don't know about you, but I had never heard of coconut flour before, I wasn't even sure how coconut flour was even possible?  How does a coconut become flour, I wondered.  My google research informed me that the "flour" is actually made from ground coconut meat.  Hmm, interesting!

Long story short, I was intrigued to try this wonder ingredient out for myself.  I popped on over to my neighborhood Whole Foods and scooped up some bulk coconut flour, (which was surprisingly inexpensive).  I made the lemon-blueberry muffins from the initial blog post that piqued my interest.  The muffins were moist, albeit a bit dense, with an underlying nutty flavor. Overall, pretty good.  Don't mind my husband who turned up his nose at them upon the first mention of the word, "coconut." (Sigh).  One fact I did learn about coconut flour, is that the flour is incredibly dense, and somewhat clumpy, thus it requires significantly more liquid to balance out the texture (i.e. 6 eggs instead of 2).

While I'm not sure I'm a coconut flour convert quite yet, I would suggest to the curious baker out there that it's worth a try, especially for those who are gluten-sensitive.  In the mean time, I'm going to use my remaining flour to try out coconut flour banana nut bread.  I'll report back :)

Have you tried coconut flour?  If so, what are your favorite recipes?

4 comments

marni zarr said...

i used coconut oil in my banana bread recipe and loved it! will have to branch out and try the flour.

Chloe Moon said...

Coconut flour? Hmmm...never heard of it! I'll have to check it out! =)

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

I've never heard of it until now either!

Sarah and Stewart said...

That Red Mill brand has tons of different types of flour, but this is the first I've heard of coconut!